For most people, a scalp massage is one of the best experiences of getting hair done at a salon. The relaxation that comes from it is something that is felt immediately, but there are a number of other benefits that are not so easily apparent. Ayurveda, the ancient Indian system of medicine which is now available through a Thai massage, has over the centuries shown that a scalp massage offers a wide range of physical and mental benefits. These are confirmed by modern medical research. Here are a few of them – some of which you may have noticed, but many of which you may have not.
- Stress, often unnoticed, affects all parts of the body and mind and prevents it from functioning properly. A good scalp massage stimulates the metabolism and increases the production of serotonin, a chemical that elevates the mood and reduces feelings of stress.
- The relaxation coupled with the increased blood flow to the head from the massage helps to ease the pain and discomfort that is caused by headaches and migraines. The feeling of relief can often be almost immediate and there are none of the side effects that often come from taking headache medication. Many people who suffer from chronic headache or migraine problems find that regular scalp massages helps to reduce the frequency of the attacks and also the intensity.
- The destressing and relaxation that comes from the massage helps in promoting a good night’s sleep. Everyone knows the difference between waking up feeling fresh and energized and waking up feeling tired and stale.
- The improved blood circulation helps to lubricate and condition the scalp which, prevents dryness and flaking without or with a reduced need to use shampoos with harsh chemicals to fight common conditions like dandruff, psoriasis, seborrheic dermatitis and so on.
- The hair roots are strengthened and the shafts are nourished which results in the existing hair becoming stronger and the growth of new hair being improved.
- The natural oils of the scalp are spread evenly over the scalp, making hair more vibrant, lustrous and also more manageable. Brittleness is reduced as are split ends.
These are just a few of the many benefits of a scalp massage. A good massage at a spa from qualified professionals does not take long and you can even easily fit it into a busy day. The difference you feel from when you go in and when you come out will have you wanting to make it a part of your regular wellness and hair care routine.
The key to an effective scalp massage is the expert use of acupressure to release beneficial energy that is prevented from flowing freely. A scalp massage from a friend or partner may feel good, but it cannot provide all the benefits that come with a massage from an expert. Try a scalp massage from a specialist in Thai massage to see the difference and you will feel really good.